Property North Wales

Things You Should Know Before Switching to LEDs

It is well known that LEDs are a much more environmentally friendly option than their incandescent counterparts. However, that doesn’t always guarantee a switch; if you’re still on the fence between LED rope lights and incandescent bulbs, here are some things you should know before you make the switch.

Easier than you Think

To get all the benefits of LED without replacing all of your existing fixtures, all you will need to do is replace the incandescent screw-in bulbs with screw-in LED bulbs. It is important to note though, you need to replace the incandescent bulb with a comparable LED so that it will match the performance of the previous bulb. 

Save you Money

At first, it might not seem like LEDs are going to be a very lucrative switch over. They are more expensive to buy than incandescent bulbs, but the prices are coming down. LEDs are more of a long term investment; so while the upfront cost might be higher, the payback time is worth it. Some LEDs can last two decades (or even longer) with average use before they begin to dim; versus the approximate two year life for incandescents. LEDs have a gradual decline rather than the sudden burnout experienced with incandescent bulbs. 

Then there is the overall amount you’ll save to consider. If you swap out only one lightbulb with LED, it’s been predicted that you’ll reduce the amount of energy consumption by between 70 and 90%.

Less Energy Consumption

Looking at the big picture, LED lighting converts 95% of energy it consumes into light; unlike incandescent bulbs which convert only 10% of energy into light. The other 90% of energy remaining is wasted as heat. 

Flexible Light Direction

Incandescent bulbs throw light around at all angles, making it extremely difficult to direct it to a particular spot. LED lighting on the other hand, is directional. This means that the light can be better focused to where it is needed. 

Range of Colour Temperatures

LEDs come in a wide range of different colour temperatures. Each lightbulb has a CCT (Correlated Colour Temperature), which corresponds to a Kelvin (K) temperature scale. The lower the Kelvins, the warmer and more yellow the light is going to be; the higher the Kelvins, the cooler and bluer the light is going to be.

Deciding what colour to go for is all down to personal preference. Light colour that is ‘natural white’ or ‘cool white’ are brilliant choices for general ambient lighting. They also work very well for focused light in kitchens.

part of the Livetech Group celebrating 10 years service
mini community

This is a 

powered by the minisite web design platform